Sunday, November 12, 2023

Balinese Cuisine (Part 1)

 Ayam Betutu is the beginning and the end of this story. It's a type of food that visitors to Bali simply must taste. 

In Gilimanuk and Badung, I had two tastes of them. Aside from Ayam Betutu, during those five days, I also enjoyed a variety of Balinese dishes.

Late August was a scorching month. I arrived with my team at noon, which was ideal for our first schedule item: lunch. We were taken to Ayam Betutu Khas Gilimanuk by our tour guide.

Situated approximately 2 km from I Gusti Ngurah Rai airport, the eatery presents a unique cuisine featuring chicken dishes. There will be four platters brought to you. Each plate has rice, fried nuts, spinach with a fresh sauce, and steamed chicken with broth.

A few hours later, I walked around two km from Legian Street to Kuta Highway. It was only my decision to add a sporting touch to the afternoon. You can drive or ride a bike, but getting stuck in traffic can cost you more than  you want to spend on dinner at Nasi Tempong Indra.

That was packed.  Fortunately, there was a long, solid table that could seat six people. However, our wait for the serving of our menu was rather lengthy.

We all placed an order for "Nasi Tempong Ayam Pedas," or spicy tempong chicken-rice. After I finished the rice, fried chicken, stewed eggplant and veggies. A sauce which is offered separately made my lips felt bold.

I'll tell you another gastronomic experience in the next post, one that comes from Buleleng as well as Gilimanuk, as I had promised. Stay hungry! []

No comments:

Post a Comment