Monday, August 10, 2020

How I Love “Slaughter Beach, Dog”? And why?

Have you ever met someone that you dislike at an initial moments? Yet, you still have to interact with him or her due to any particular circumstances. Unpredictably, you and your colleague are match to each other. Sometimes, that scenario occurs not only in an interpersonal relationship.

Here’s my experience. I got a recommendation from one Twitter account about the best music albums of 2019. One of them was Slaughter Beach, Dog. Personally, I am not very fond of folk music. I still have enough energy to enjoy Rammstein with their latest album which was released on the same year. Recently, I also love the burst of distortion from Four Year Strong’s last album: Brain Pain—“Learn to Love the Lie” is my favorite one. Even so, I don’t know why, I cannot help myself for not to clicking that heart icon of Spotify on the album from Slaughter Beach, Dog: Safe and Also No Fear.

 

Times goes by, and little by little I managed to enjoy those 10 songs. Slaughter Beach, Dog offers an acoustic ambience with the accurate power of drum stroke so much so that it make the songs felt enjoyable. My favorite song is: Black Oak.

 

This is the fourth song on the album. I bet that Black Oak was not the main single from this album. The length maybe too long for some people, but I like it. Imagine that you have to climb steeply on the hill towards the top. Slowly. Instantly after reached the peak, you ought to move downward monotonously. All of those ups and downs analogy of the song happens in 6 minutes and 42 seconds. 

“A looping coda evokes the spaced-out lapse of highway hypnosis, as if the band were cruising those darkened roads themselves.” (Abby Jones, on Pitchfork.com)

After fell in love with the song, album and this band, I searched one or two information about them. From the same article written by Abby Jones, I found out that Slaughter Beach, Dog was a one man show that formed by Jake Ewald. He was the co-front man of Philadelphia based emo/ punk band named Modern Baseball—whom disbanded in 2017.

 

Safe and Also No Fear was his third album. And on this folk-rock album, Ewald includes Modern Baseball’s bassist Ian Farmer. Slaughter Beach, Dog released their latest single on June 5, 2020. The song was entitled: Fair Shot.

 

How to explain my instant likeness to this album? On the same timeline, I read the book of Jurnalisme Musik that was written by Idhar Resmadi. On the section of “How Taste Was Formed?” he cited the analysis from Martin Suryajaya’s book of Sejarah Estetika (2016). Martin wrote that British philosopher David Hume, argued: taste was formed by two steps: perception and affection.

 

Furthermore, Idhar expand his writing by stated that Hume’s opinion is coherent with Immanuel Kant’s argument of taste. Idhar concluded that it would be hard to insist someone about the beauty of one song without let them listen by themselves. []

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment