Monday, July 1, 2019

Lost

One day, Windi, Sara and I went to supermarket. We bought daily goods. As windi picks this and that, I took Sara to stroll around the store. Sometimes, I let her move quite far from me, about 10 to 15 meters away. As I met Windi in one certain point, she asked me where Sara is. Jokingly said, i told her that I didn’t know. Right after that, worry face aroused. It seems like she’s going to scream out to call Sara, if I wasn't told her that Sara was still around. Shortly after that, Sara appeared from racks with her jolly tiny footsteps. 

The same moment happened to Marie when she lost Sara—her daughter. Marie and Sara are a fictional characters in the movie that I have saw on Netflix entitled Arkangel. It was part of a series named Black Mirror. Black Mirror tells different stories about the dark side of near future probable condition. In this particular episode, it depicts us about how Marie uses an apps (actually it was an internet-of-things) to control her daughters whereabouts. 

It was started when Marie losts Sara for the first time when her daughter was 3 years old. She ran for a cat in the park, out of her mom’s supervision. Then, Marie implanted a device from a company named Arkangel to her daughter’s body. So much so that she can see what Sara sees, or even further, can modify her daughter’s vision to some kind of harms. Unfortunately, it was irreplacable. Sara grew with the Arkangel and faced several teenage “naughty/ natural” moments, under her mothers access to the device. What happened next, leads to their separation. As if they meant to be away, since Sara was a little.

The movie made me think about how we should keep a healthy relationship with our daughter. On one hand, we tend to be overprotective, but on another one, we also ought to trust to our child's level of growth--and accompany them as well. []

No comments:

Post a Comment